Saturday, September 17, 2011

Small, cozy, portable!

Before you all jump on the "trailer trash" bandwagon, I want to assure you that just because my new living digs are portable it in no way means I will now eat a lot of Cheeto's and drink cheap beer out of a can and have oily, greasy hair.  Cheap wine, yes.  Cheap beer, no. 

I am up here in Healdsburg again, subbing for my friend Margaret, who shattered her leg last week and therefore cannot take on the role of innkeeper.  The inn is quite busy this time of year so there are guests pretty much every night which means many days of work for the next two months at least.  I am sorry that Margaret broke her leg, of course, but grateful for the work. 

But working here posed the obvious question:  where will I live?  Getting an apartment seemed too difficult at this point because I don't have enough pay stubs to show to a prospective landlord.  Margaret was kind enough to talk to many of her friends and somehow magically convinced one couple to rent their trailer to me for a month or so!  Yes, a trailer!  It is not, unfortunately, an Airstream, which would have been pretty cool.  But it is decent size, has a nice couch, small kitchen, teeny bathroom with shower and a queen size bed. It has heat, air conditioning and a small TV.  It's on the same property as the owners' house but there is a lot of land there and hey, the price is not expensive and it keeps me off the streets at night.  Cooper has not yet seen it, but I think he will like it.  There are squirrels for him to chase and that alone will give meaning to his life.

It's so odd, this untethered life.  For the first time in 61 years I don't really have a place to live, at least not until this trailer offer.  I am not complaining, at least I am in California instead of other states I could mention.  But still, it's a rather unsettling situation, one that I am trying to simply plow through without a great deal of conscious thought.  If I think about it too much it freaks me out:  no permanent job, no permanent home, no permanent income.  And yes, I know that nothing in life is permanent but this might be taking that philosophy a little too far.

Tonight will be my first night in my new trailer home and will hopefully post some photos of it tomorrow.  First I need to stock up on beer, pretzels, Cheese-whiz, TV dinners and some National Enquirer tabloids so I can do justice to the trailer theme. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment